I was thinking about how much I had to do today, and how little I had already gotten done. Wondering why (besides the fact that I am a huge procrastinator) I decided to go back and think about what I did all day
I woke up, made coffee, checked Facebook.
Got ready, walked the dog, checked Instagram.
Got to work, checked Facebook and Twitter, checked in with Foursquare.
Worked, made a post on Facebook, and went to the gym.
Checked in on Foursquare at the gym, walked on the treadmill, checked Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, and my emails.
Although this was only part of my day, I noticed that I was constantly on social media. Even more, I noticed, I hadn’t even been at a computer yet. All of this today was done through the applications on my phone, making it relatively easy to access any social network at virtually any time.
Checking social media has become such a habit for me, that it is just as much a part of my daily schedule as eating and sleeping is. I don’t think there has been a day in the past…. four years or so that I have not checked at least one social media outlet during the day.
That’s kind of crazy.
I decided to do some research on how often people spend on social media, and the results aren't very surprising after looking at my own life..
- 44% of people check their social networking websites on their mobile device while watching a television program
- Facebook captures 14.6% of a user's total internet time
- Tumblr and Pinterest are the only second tier sites to capture a user's attention for more than 60 minutes each month.
- 38.5% of females check their social networks through their mobile phone
- 34.4% of males check their social networks through their mobile phone
This just proves the fact how important social media is to marketing. People are constantly checking their Facebooks, Twitters, Youtubes, etc. If you aren't reaching out to them through these platforms, you're definitely missing out on a big opportunity!